Category Archives: Simplicity 2317

Hello, Kitty

One other project that I finished up over the weekend was Simplicity 2317 – the pajama set(s). I decided to eliminate the ‘fly front’ on the boxers and just sew them up as an elastic waist pair of shorts…. I just really didn’t see topstitching the fly (on a knit) as a good idea. The fit? Spot on! These shorts look and fit very much like the pattern cover and are much different than anything Taylor currently owns. So, now she has something to wear while it’s still warm (tank and shorts) and can change it up as we cool off with the t-shirt. Which combo do you like the best? Sound off here!

Major Modifications

I knew going into sewing the shirt for Simplicity 2317, that there were going to be some modifications needed… it just looked huge. Little did I know that before it was all over, I would have reworked most of the top. Here’s a breakdown of all the changes:

Starting from the underarm to the hemline, I shaved off 1/2-1″ from each side of the front and back pieces. I also ‘contoured’ them a bit so it has more of a ‘babydoll’ style to it rather than a boxy fit.

I took 1 1/2″ off the bottom of the shirt. Even after I put in the hem (1″) it’s still a little long so I probably could have taken off another 1″ and the length would have been fine. (Speaking of the hem, it still needs pressing).

After all the changes, the sleeves length just looked wrong so I wound up taking off 1 3/4″ to their length. While the sleeves look better, the shoulder area looks too wide and I’m wishing that I would have taken it in at least an 1″.

Lastly, I added an iron on. Can you believe that I found one at Michael’s that was the EXACT design as the fabric itself? Let’s hope that it retains it’s color and quality through a few washings because it was a real booger to get transferred onto the shirt (I think it took longer to iron on the image than what it took me to sew up the shirt).

Now it’s onto the shorts!

Kitty Tank

If you’re looking for an easy knit tank, Simplicity 2317 is the pattern for you. This pattern is comprised of two pattern pieces, 5 steps, and no bindings! The down side? The fit around the armholes seems to be a bit loose and possibly a bit deep (you can see this a bit on the photo). Since this a nightshirt, I’m not too concerned. However, if I decided to make this view as ‘streetwear’, I’d make a few changes in the fit (I think this could be remedied by taking up the shoulder seams as well as the inside seams under the arms).

Now to tackle the t-shirt, but this time, I’m making alterations!

2317 Cutout Concerns

I’ve managed to cut out all the pieces for Simplicity 2317 that I intend on using: View A, the tank and knit ‘boxers’ as well as View B, the t-shirt (I thought when it finally gets chilly at night this would be a tad warmer than the tank) and have some concerns already about the possible ‘fit’ of everything.

First off the ‘boxers’ appear very close fitting – more like boxer briefs than a loose fitting boxer. I’m afraid Taylor will think this looks ridiculous on so I opted to go up a bit in size so they might have a more roomy feel. The t-shirt is also a problem…. it’s huge (both length and width)! I’m guessing that this is because the shirt is designed for both men and women in mind, but honestly, I don’t see how this is going to work with the boxers if I use it the way it currently looks (think very short nightshirt). The tank, however, seems perfect… and easy to sew. Consequently, I’m starting with that first and then dwelling on how I can change up the rest of the pieces to work for a picky teen.

Hello, Kitty

I make piles. Lots of piles. I have one for new patterns that I have to sew, one for favorite patterns that I want to sew again, magazines and books with projects that I want to tackle, fabrics that I’m intending on working with next… you get the idea. Sometimes, things get pushed onto the back burner and sit for ages. This Hello Kitty fabric was one of those things that I’ve been meaning to get to, but still never have. One thing that kept me from using it was the lack of the ‘ideal pattern.’ However, at the last pattern sale, something caught my eye, Simplicity 2317 – its exactly what I had been looking for: knit ‘boxers’ with a shirt (and even a tank option!). Consequently, this is my next project! Here’s all the details below:

Project Details:

Pattern: Simplicity 2317

Fabric:
Hello Kitty cotton jersey from The Fabric Fairy

Materials & Cost:
Pattern……..$1.99
Fabric………$17.98
Notions……..stash
Total……….$19.97