Here it is, the first ‘big’ project of 2011, The Reversible Sunday Sling! As far a bag patterns go, this is a fairly simple one to construct – there are no snaps or zippers to contend with, but at the same time, you have a finished tote with a nice shape and some cute details. The instructions are easy to follow. However, I will admit, the pleats on the mail panel of the bag caused me some confusion. In part this was due to my “helper” (a.k.a. Easton) distracting me with dancing and Guitar Hero moves, but it was also in part to the illustration provided because it looked as if I should fold and measure more than what was really intended (doing this caused my pleats to be ‘off center’ and too large)… of course if I would have read the directions more clearly, I would have seen that I was doing it wrong! Once I realized my mistake and corrected my problem, it was smooth sailing. It’s a good thing too because the procedure for creating pleats is repeated several times throughout construction.
The only modification that I made to this pattern was eliminating the cell phone pocket. After starting on it, I discovered that it was going to be too small for my phone design (I have a Blackberry) and decided to just scrap it – the reverse side of the bag already has 4 large pockets and I figured one of them would be good enough to house my phone in it’s case. Overall I love this bag: it’s large (I used the small pattern), but not HUGE, it has cute design elements (I love the pleating on the main panels and side pockets and handle design), lots of pockets, and, best of all, it’s reversible so you get two bags in one!
Amy Butler’s Reversible Sunday Sling
Two Anthology Fabrics from Sew Much
Materials & Cost:
I know that I get easily ‘distracted’ when it comes to sewing. I have a tendency to work on a project, see something that I have to make, then shove it aside to work on the new item – this is how my UFO (Un-Finished Objects) pile grows… and this is how my latest project came into being. Partners were assigned in the Keep Me Warm Swap last night and I was inspired to make this coffee cuff after ‘stalking’ my partner. Essentially I used an interfaced layer of fabric for the exterior and a piece of Jiffy Grip (that bumpy stuff you use for non-skid soles of slippers and kids footed pajamas) for the underside (with a layer of fusible interfacing in between) – this should keep the cuff from slipping off the cup while you’re drinking. The finished cuff is held together by an elastic band and large button.
I have to say, these are so easy to make and so cute – if I had more family members that drank coffeeteahot chocolate, I’d make them some… although this time I might give this design a whirl.
With that said, it’s time to get back to my Sunday Sling – it’s almost finished and I am determined that it will not become a UFO. How is every else’s New Year’s sewing going?
I spent the majority of my evening with a seam ripper. Most of my issue(s) can be blamed on distraction and just not focusing on the directions – I shouldn’t sew a new pattern when I can’t pay attention to it! Consequently, I only have the pleats and the bag handles attached to my Sunday Sling… I gave up shortly after since I was making too many mistakes. I guess I should look on the bright side, at least I noticed my mistake(s) before getting further into my project! Anyone else have days like that – no matter what you do, it’s wrong?
After hours of cutting and fusing, I am finally ready to start sewing my Sunday Sling. While there doesn’t appear to be lots of pieces with this bag, several of the templates need to be folded over (some more than once) to create a new pattern – pair that up with exterior fabrics, lining material, and several layers of interfacing and you’ve got a whole day’s worth of activity right there. While it seems like I’m complaining (and to some extend I am because cutting is my least favorite activity…. following by ironing), it’s really worth it in the end as all that interfacing really makes for a professional looking bag.
On a side note, I’m having lots of problems with the comments portion of my site. Spam has really become a problem over the past few months so we’ve been tinkering with the filters. Consequently, for whatever reason, a lot of your comments are not appearing on the site and are being flagged as spam…. and the spam comments are still sneaking through! To try to remedy this, you’ll find numerous posts are now closed and the filters have been changed again. If you attempt to post, but do not see your comment on the site – don’t hesitate to send me an email (stacysews[at]gmail.com). This will help us fix the filters again until the new (and hopefully improved) site is up and running!
I’ve been debating what should be my first project of the new year – and I’ve finally settled on Amy Butler’s Reversible Sunday Sling. I selected this one not just because I’m a sucker for a cute bag pattern, but also because of the fabric… I’m in love with this fabric:
These are two cotton prints I recently picked up on a recent shopping trip to Sew Much. I’m normally not a purple fan, but these colors are so vibrant, and the fabric had such a pretty sheen I couldn’t resist! (For those that are wondering, these are from Anthology Fabrics).
So here’s a little breakdown about the cost of this project:
Materials & Cost:
Now to get cutting! While this particular project doesn’t have a lot of pieces, it does require lots and lots of cutting (exterior and lining prints as well as several layers of interfacing and fleece) and fusing. I suspect that is an all day project in itself… so much for a clean sewing room!