Category Archives: McCall 5586 Embellished Tunic Top

Adding Some Bling

Even though I had some problems with the jersey that I used for McCall 5586(you can read more about it in yesterday’s post When Good Fabrics Behave Badly), I really enjoyed making this top. My favorite part – adding the embellishments. After lots of searching around town for jewels, shells, and metal studs, I decided on some aurora borealis rhinestones in various sizes. The only downside to using this method was that everything had to be glued on – and I’m very messy with glue.
Instead of laying the tunic flat (as suggested by the instructions), I found it helpful to work with it directly on my dress form. This gave me the ability to glue something down, step back, and ‘check my work’. Here’s a close up of the finished neckline:

It’s a lot ‘flashier’ than what I would normally makewear, but everyone needs some fun bling in their wardrobe every now and then (especially after wearing maternity clothing for so long)! By the way, I’ve tried this on over my current (HUGE) pregnant belly and the top works as a maternity style too – just make sure you use a very stretchy material and it should work fine!

When Good Fabrics Behave Badly

When I started McCall 5586, I decided that I would skip the serger and try out some of the stretch stitches on my Bernina. Things were going very smoothly until I switched needles and started experiencing skipped stitches. You see, I decided to make a few modifications to this tunic – the first of which was eliminating the bias tape around the arm hole. Since I am using a jersey that wouldn’t ravel, I thought that I would just fold over the seam allowance and stitch with a double needle (for a ready to wear look). I figured that the needle was dull so I headed out to the store for a new one. When I came back and tested out the new needle, I still had some skipping – so I played with all the settings. Thank goodness this machine has lot of ways to adjust your tension, stitch length, pressure foot pressure, etc. because it took adjusting all of it before I got the everything to sew up ‘correctly’! I’m not sure what I would have done to fix this problem with my last machine – it didn’t have nearly the setting options as this one and my fabric (as much as I love the look, feel, and drape) was so temperamental. To keep me from experiencing later frustrations, I even wrote down all my settings so that when I work with the rest of the material (I have almost a yard left), I don’t have to try to figure out what to do all over again!
Now that all the sewing is complete, it’s time to embellish the neckline of this top. I’m anxious to get started this morning – I can’t wait to add some bling and bring this tunic to life!

New Romper

Awhile back, I started sewing up a second (smaller size) version of Kwik Sew 3090 and had disastrous results – I had traced and cut a shorts style for the front and a longer romper in the back (and didn’t notice until I started sewing)! I’ve had this material ‘staring’ at me ever since…. so the other day, I retraced the front (to the longer style) and re-cut the material to make this:

Although the pattern didn’t include a hat, I found one in an Ottobre magazine (4/2006) and used the leftover material to whip one up to make a ‘matching set’. One more project off my to-do list!
Up next – McCall 5586. I’ll be putting the fabric & cost information on the sidebar later on this afternoon.