Category Archives: Jalie 2805

Snow

With Christmas just a few days away, I’ve been busily wrapping packages and getting cards ready to send out (they may be New Years cards instead of Christmas) – so I’ve accomplished very little in the sewing department (I do have the V-neck version of Jalie 2805 cut and ready to go). Instead of showing you the state of my current project, I thought I would share pictures of the kiddos enjoying the first ‘good’ snow of the season. As you can see, I bundled Easton up so much he looks like Randy in A Christmas Story. In fact, he’s so puffy, Easton actually tipped over and could get himself up (as shown in the photo on the left) – at least he thought it was funny.

Distraction

Normally by now I’ve put up a post – so I’ll have to admit…. I’m a bit distracted. What’s the distraction? Facebook (I know, I’m a bit slow on joining). I decided to join last week and have been spending a great deal of time catching up with people I haven’t seen in years. And I’ve been having too much fun! But now it’s time to crack down – I have Christmas cards to send out, presents to wrap (thank goodness I’m finished shopping), laundry to fold, a house to clean, and a new top waiting for me to work on in the sewing room! I have the V-neck version of Jalie 2805 traced off and have selected a geometric print from Fabric.com picked out for the material. I can’t wait to get started!
So now I’m off to shovel some snow off the driveway and to start on my cards! By the way, if we haven’t ‘found’ each other on Facebook, let me know!

The Top So Nice…

I made it twice! I really loved the the thermal henley so much that I decided to go ahead and make another version. One thing that I really wanted to try was a flatlock along the seams of the shirt, so for my second version, I did just that. I’ve never tried this technique with my current machine so it took me a while (and lots of cursing) to get everything thing looking right…… I could have eliminated all my frustrations if I only would have inserted the needle correctly. Thank goodness everything came together without any problems after the needle issue. I finished off the hems with a serged edge, but decided on sewing the neckline with my machine – without the stitches showing. I wasn’t confident enough in my serging abilities that I could get a ‘professional’ (or ready to wear) look by doing this. I love the end results – in fact, I love it so much I’ve pretty much worn it all weekend!
One thing I do want want to comment on is the fabric. I used a gray interlock that I pulled from my stash – it just barely had enough stretch to be used with this pattern. The fit on the gray top is more fitted (a great look for jeans or pants), while the looser weave on the thermal is more relaxed (which makes it perfect for loungewear). You can see the difference between the shirts below:

Just something to keep in mind when selecting your fabrics and sizing for this pattern! Up next, one more shirt from this pattern collection, but this time I’m going for the V-neck.

Thermal Thursday

Is it really Thursday, already? Besides the fact that this week has escaped me (I’m guessing because we haven’t left the house due to bad weather and colds), I spent last night happily sewing on Jalie 2805 and neglected to start ‘Linky Thursday’. Consequently, I’m holding off on them until tomorrow when I can devote the evening to posting them! Instead, I’m going to talk about my new top!
Although I’ve had Jalie 2805 since it was released earlier this year, I never attempted sewing it up until yesterday. I’m now wishing I would have started earlier – I love this design! The body of the shirt was made in a red thermal knit while the neckline is a coordinating red interlock that I had in my stash. I can’t remember ever sewing with thermal fabric before and I would like to say that it was quite a challenge. I wound up skipping using the sewing machine and switched to the serger – I found that the material stretched like mad while I sewed and I was afraid that the bottom hem would wind up at my knees by the time I was finished. The only thing that I wish I would have done differently is that I should have used a decorative flatlock on the seams – I think it would have given a more RTW henley look…. next time!
On the right is the whole pajama set put together. I’m now, officially, ready for Christmas morning!

One More Project Down

Just in time for today’s cold snap – new flannel pajama pants! I made just a few modifications to the pattern. I omitted the pockets – I’ve found that when these pants are made in flannel, they tend to make you look ‘hippy’ if you include them. I also dropped the waistline 2 inches. I think I could have gone another inch so that they sat ‘just under’ my belly button.
Now it’s time to think about the top. Originally I had planned on using the one that came with the pattern, but the more I look at it, the more I’ve decided that it’s not exactly what I’m looking for. Instead I’m leaning toward Jalie 2805, View D – it reminds me of a mock henley-style shirt that I’ve been seeing with a lot of pajama sets. This pattern, paired up with a red thermal knit, should make the perfect sleep shirt!