Admittedly, I have added several yards of fabric to my closet in the past month (Although in my defense, I have “plans” for most of it.):
First off, is a scrap bundle from Zor-Elle. Overall, I was underwhelmed with what I got this time (but the last several have been hard to top). Included in this bundle was some Labyrinth canvas, “Skulls & Moths” canvas, a Mandalorian woven, The Witcher woven, “Séance” canvas, and a purple polka dot woven. The “Cheeky Cherries” woven (along with some zipper tape and pulls) on the far right is also from Zor-Elle that I purchased separately from the bundle. I love this print so much, I’m kicking myself for not picking up more.
I also snagged a faux leather Hocus Pocus print (which is absolutely adorable) from Ms. Fits Fabric. This is a relatively new vendor to me, but I can definitely see the popularity as they are definitely very cute designs. Eventually I’d like to make a purse or wallet from this material – I even picked up several different zipper options that would work with it too!
I recently picked up the Balboa Shorts from Greenstyle and realized that I didn’t have a good stretch woven that would work with that pattern. So, I snagged a pretty floral print and a sold to try this pattern out (and maybe a Moxi too).
The rest of the fabrics are from Joann (except the black and white stripe which is from Fabric.com – they were the only ones who had 1/2″ black and white woven in stock). I was so excited to see the “Starry Night” type print on the shelf that I might have squeeled a little. We plan on attending the immersive Van Gogh exhibit on Halloween and I really wanted to geek out and make something for the event. I also ordered a Kansas City fabric so that I could make a fun bag for Taylor (October’s BOTMC design) and something that might work for the lining. The Beetlejuice fabric is just because (and I may have preordered some fun Beetlejuice vinyl for a future bag and thought this might make a good lining).
Whew, that’s it! Now to get to sewing this stash down!
First off, it says that this pattern is drafted for someone that 5′ 5″ and to take off(or add) 1/2″ for each 1″ (if that makes sense). Seeing that I’m 5′ 4″, I should have only needed to take off 1/2″, but in the end, I wound up taking off 3 1/2″ (I really could have cut off 4″, but you can read on and see what I did next).
Secondly, the cuff is quite large. Since the length was still a bit too long and the cuff too wide, I wound up rolling it up which fixed both issues very nicely.
My last issue is the pockets – they tend to “puff out” occasionally if I don’t have the top bloused enough. Part of the issue may be because I forgot to topstitch the pocket after I turned the lining, but it can’t be that entirely since it lays flat if I pull the waist up higher.
Otherwise, the fit is fabulous and I’m pretty sure this is going to be what I’m wearing to an outdoor wedding this weekend!
The evenings are getting chillier and cool weather dressing will soon be upon us. Looking for a quick or beginner project to add to your wardrobe? Then be sure to check out this fleece fringed scarf. Looking for something you can snuggle up with instead? Then try making this fleece blanket with satin edges instead.
I’ve noticed that the Halloween fabrics are flying off the shelves – which means it’s never too early to start sewing up those treat bags for handing out on Halloween night.
With school back to in-person, I’ve been seeing lots of people looking for these pillow bed tutorials – it’s great for rest time in preschool and kindergarten.
The past month has been full of school activities, sports, and weekend fun (yay for some bits of normalcy!). With all the hubbub, I’ve found that I have a lot less time for projects – which means I have a bunch of half finished makes on my table!
One project that I’ve been wanting to tackle for quite some time is a solid black jumpsuit. I decided to give Ellie & Mac’s Off-Shoulder Romper again (you can see my previous version here), but unfortunately had to start from scratch because after I finished my first one, I decided that I probably wouldn’t make another romper so similar (apparently, I was wrong!)
I managed to assemble a new pattern and construct the top – here’s my stopping point. Next up the pockets and bottoms. I’m excited to see this one put together and styling it.
This article teaches you how to create an oversized (extra long) scarf, gives you several finishing options, and tips on how to embroidery with chiffon. It’s a fast little project and a great looking accessory!
I’m always interested to see how designs change when placed on different colors. For example, I did several “Camp Crystal Lake” shirts and they all look very different on different bases. After they were all finished, I determined “oxblood black” (which doesn’t look like black at all, it’s more like an eggplant). I also tried my hand at a few bleached tees (the Pennywise & Hocus Pocus tees on the left, the Hocus Pocus in the middle, and the Edward Scissorhands on the right)… which might be my new favorite technique! Even though the red tee didn’t turn out as I expected, it still looks very cool once the design was transferred onto it. I may pick up some spray dyes and try my hand at making an easy ombre look in future tees.
This Aztec print waxed canvas tote! I really loved working on this project – I found the waxed canvas easy to work with and I love that the colors are fall-ish but still feel so vibrant. In fact, I loved working with the waxed canvas so much, I recently purchased more (in a different colorway) to make another bag.
One thing I should mention – if you opt for the yellow, you may find it a bit translucent. I believe that between the light color and the waxing process, that you can see darker colored material, etc. behind it. Something to keep in mind when you looking for a lining for this project!