Just in time to withstand the frigid temperatures of the Polar Vortex, my Summit Peak Hoodie is complete! As I mentioned last week, this is a French Terry panel (there is still some available in various sizes and fabrics) and matching stripe from Blended Threads – it is very thick, so it’s perfect for keeping cozy in these chilly temps.
Since this is my first time making this pattern, I thought I would sum up my experience with it. First off, the fit: It’s definitely a lot more fitted than what I expected. Some of this is because the material is so thick, but mostly because of the cut. I was on the cusp of two sizes and I’m glad that I opted to sew the larger one. My only complaint about the fit is the pocket: while I love the overall size of it, the thicker French Terry that I used makes a lot of bulk in this area. If I don’t having it laying down “just so” it makes me look like I have a pooch, or I’m several month’s pregnant. Next time, I think I would opt for a thinner material for the pocket and lining.
As far as construction goes, I would definitely rank this as “intermediate”. The instructions are fairly clear, but I’ll be honest, the whole pocket make me scratch my head for awhile. While the pocket (eventually) came together fine, I’m thinking that there has to be an easier way to put this together. With that said, I’m sure future attempts will go a lot smoother. The rest of the hoodie was pretty straightforward in construction (and I learned that you do have to line the hood) and went together without any issues.
Overall, I really love the end result – the fabric works well with this design and everything pops! I can definitely see making more of these in the future.
I decided that I needed to use my Blended Thread panel (and matching stripe fabric) before it got to warm (ha! that’s not happening anytime soon) to get any use out of it. I decided that I would try Pattern Niche (formerly New Horizons) Summit Peak Hoodie – I thought that it would showcase the panel, but show off the stripes at the same time.
I thought that I would have plenty of time to finish this in one day, but between fussy cutting the fabric (as much as I love stripes, they do take a lot more work to line everything up) and figuring out the pocket (there has to be an easier way to do this), this is all I have completed….. it’s so close! I still have to figure out a lining for the hood (or see if I can skip it as this fabric is bulky) and have the waistband to put on, but if all goes as planned, I should have a new hoodie by lunch!
I absolutely adore these record coasters. What a great way to use up scraps!
Keep dogs busy with this interactive feeding toy. Learn how to make this snuffle mat.
Stay warm this winter with a pair of fleece lined mittens. Then stitch up a matching hat and scarf set to complete your look.
This pinwheel baby quilt looks like the perfect gift to give for that special mom to be.
Need a cute gift to make this Valentine’s? Be sure to check out this adorable bear from Fluffmonger.
This batwing sweater top will keep you warm and look stylish.
Love scrunies? Give yours a new look with tails.
If you’re looking to make your handmade Valentine’s cards even more special, then be sure to check out these no-sew felt envelopes. It looks like a great project to do with kids, too!
Learn how to make your own underwear and change up it’s look by attaching stretch lace trim – just in time for the holiday!
These pyramid bean bag chairs might be great for lounging outside, but I can definitely see these for a reading nook inside, too!
When Jalie released the Romy add-on pack (square neckline & puff sleeves, you can find the base pattern here), I added this to my “Must Sew” list. Unfortunately, life got in the way and the ‘rona kept us from being able to go anywhere so there wasn’t as much incentive to sew it up. But since I getting my mojo back, I finally decided to give this pattern a whirl and now I’m wondering what took me so long to sew it up! I LOVE IT!
For this version, I used a black solid cotton spandex knit from Girl Charlee fabrics – this fabric had a nice, beefier weight to it (it is considered a medium weight) and I think it helped give the finished top a bit more structure. I opted to use both the square neckline and puff sleeves because I wanted this exact look that Jalie used for the cover photo and I think I pulled it off pretty well!
Assembling this pattern was easy and the instructions we very straightforward. However, I should point out, that it’s very important to read through the directions and not just assume you know how to construct this one (something that I do at times) because there are a few alterations that you need to make before you start sewing, etc. Overall, this top was easily put together in an afternoon – which means I see a few more of these in my future before winter is gone!
Valentine’s Day is two weeks away – plenty of time to stitch up my latest project: The Whimsical Heart Coaster. This little coaster is easy enough for the beginner to complete, sews up in under an hour, and uses a fun “fabric” – cork!
I opted to use cork for this project because it’s absorbent – no worries about sweaty cups or cans on your furniture. It’s also very beginner friendly – it doesn’t fray, it takes on some heat (so it won’t melt when applying wonder under), and stiches beautifully. Best of all, it’s more widely available and comes in a larger range of colors (this one has silver flecks!). Give it a try and let me know what you think!