Sage

I had no intentions of making a dress this weekend, but I had seen so many posts about Made for Mermaid’s Sage, that I broke down and bought it. My original intent was to make a striped version with a high neck and sleeves, but I didn’t have enough of the material I originally wanted to use. So, I went back to my stash and and pulled out this (single brushed poly?) floral print that I had gotten in a recent So Sew English fabric mystery bundle. This print just seemed perfect for this pattern – it’s a pretty summery coral with large scale flowers that are just perfect for a maxi dress. That also changed my overall design choice too… so for this version I made a low scoop, tank style maxi. My only regret is not making the slit higher, but more on that in a minute.

As far as construction goes, this dress was VERY easy to put together and is very straightforward (in fact, I just glanced at the instructions for this one) so it’s a great beginner pattern. My only regret is that I didn’t notice the slight heights on the back of the pattern piece (I had laid the pattern upside down when cutting) so my slit is shorter that I think I would have wanted.

As far as the fit: I was really in between two sizes so I thought I would err on the side of caution and use the larger of the two. In the end, I took out some of the excess material, so I probably made the smaller size anyway. Overall I really like the way this looks, it’s comfortable, it’s flattering, it’s perfect for summer… but, it’s now been claimed by my oldest. Honestly, this dress totally screams her name and she will look adorable in it, so I’ve decided to make another one soon – I even bought a new stripe to make the version that I originally set out to sew.