Sonia Estep recently re-released her Iris Shorts pattern at a discounted price last week. Since this was a pattern that I had my eye on, I decided to go ahead and pick it up.

I got a little antsy waiting for fabric to arrive and decided to go ahead and sew it up, but in a French Terry. This is not a recommended fabric, but I had seen several people doing it and had good results so I decided try my hand at it, too. I went with the simplest of designs – shorts with a 3.5″ inseam, no pockets, and a low-rise cotton waistband. The result is super cute, but the fit is a bit looser in the waist than what I expected (I could have easily taken off about an 1″). However, I’m not sure that I’ll modify it when my fabric arrives because I expect that it will have less stretch than the cotton.

Overall, this was a VERY easy project to put together… and now I have something for the 4th of July, too!