I had a request to make more masks. I had been tinkering with the fit of my current pattern with the face mask elastic, but was still not pleased with the fit (I still couldn’t get a standard fit between Bret and I, although it was better than “regular” elastic), so I started searching for a similar pattern, but with a potentially better fit. That’s when I found Victory Patterns’ free face mask. Not only did this pattern have 4 sizes, I found that it covered my face more that previous versions and cinched in the sides for a better fit. In the end, I wound up making a few changes:
I omitted the lining template and just used 2 front patterns. I did this because I didn’t see anyone using a filter with theirs and it made cutting the masks a whole lot faster (sewing probably went faster as well).
When it came to sewing, I simply place the two “front” pieces together, sewed around the edges and left an opening for turning. Once it was right side out, I sewed along the edges (which closed the hole that I turned), and then created a channel for the elastic by folding back the edges to the lining side. The face mask elastic is super stretchy and worked great with this pattern – it’s comfortable to wear and I like that the men’s is plenty large enough for Bret. Overall, this has become my favorite pattern – and it sews up fairly quickly too… which is a good thing because I’ve sewn 100s of these now and this definitely ramps up production. Ah yes, and I did a thing last week too. I dyed my hair purple – I figured it’s still going to be awhile until I can see my stylist so why not do something interesting.