In between more mask making, I decided to do some baking. The bunny cakelet pan arrived just in time for Easter, but instead of making cakes (because I had already ordered cookies), I opted to bake pumpkin bread instead. Unfortunately, the bread is dark enough that the details of the bunny are sort of lost, but if you look close, I think it retained the shape really well. I’ll have to do those again next year, but plan for cute little cakes instead. I also tried my hand at making some Texas Roadhouse rolls (but I halved the recipe… because 35 rolls may be too many). I think they turned out pretty close to the real deal and they tasted delicious with dinner last night. I will spare you a photo my challah bread – it turned out looking like a sad beached whale (I think it may have over proofed).
I have also been making more masks…. These particular versions were some of my favorites because the fabrics are so fun (a friend and I talked on the phone and picked out material she thought everyone would like). She is a school nurse and is doing the screenings for lunch and delivery staff so she requested some for herself and family. She also has a son who is needing to go in regularly for PT appointments – since he’s a teen, he’s a bit hesitant to wear a mask, so there may be one in there with a half naked lady… LOL.
Running low on fabric during your shelter in place order? No worries, this tutorial teaches you how to make a faux sashed t-shirt quilt – the perfect way to clean out your project and give you the material you need to make a new blanket!
I love my Cricut. It can whip out cute cards and almost any type of t-shirt transfer you can think of. However, sometimes making your own designs can be time consuming, plus sheets of vinyl can be expensive.
My solution? Buy screen print transfers! Krafty Korner Supplies runs weekly sales on a number of screen prints (some one color, some multi) that are a $1 each! I can’t make shirts for less than that! These designs were perfect and I wound up ordering a few tees from JiffyShirts. FYI I used the Bella Canvas brand as they are so incredibly soft, but let me steer you away from the Bella Canvas tees for women (or at least order 1-2 sizes larger than what you would normally buy) – they DO NOT fit anywhere near their regular shirts. While I expected the women’s to be fitted, I found them to be incredibly snug and looked horrible on.
Even before the CDC’s recommendation to start wearing masks, I started getting requests to make them. I spent several days testing patterns – some with elastic, some with ties, some that were pleated and some that were more shaped to fit the face… and after all that, I finally settled on one that I found worked best for me: FreeSewing.org’s FU Face Mask and this version from Instructables for kids.
Some things that I’ve discovered about my particular mask making journey: The elastic I have stinks. I managed to snag cording elastic from Amazon before the rush, but it’s just not comfortable to wear. I believe that it doesn’t have a tremendous amount of stretch, so it digs into your ears, or just pulls your ears down completely and then pops off your face. Consequently, I never could find a standard measurement that would universally work for everyone.
Next, I moved to bias tape – unfortunately, I quickly ran out of that as well and am now just making my own. When working with the bias tape, I tried binding off the sides and leaving enough overhanging so that they can be used as ties – I felt like this process sped things up a bit, but it used up more bias tape (and when you make your own, it feels like that’s an important factor) and I don’t think it allowed the mask to sit as snug on your face. Consequently, in the end, I settled on ties (and a bit of wire around the nose to make it more conforming)…. it’s a longer process but I know it will fit everyone better.
One of the downsides of working from home is that there are a lot of paper copies being generated (at least at our house) – so much so, that I’ve been put on a “freeze” for printing patterns until we can get more paper delivered. So this week, I went back to my pattern stash and decided to sew up a second pair of Carita Joggers (you can check out my previous version here). For this version, I used a fun print – SoSewEnglish’s Love Sewing French Terry and a hot pink cotton that I found in my stash. I really like the way it turned out! Not to mention that they are super comfortable.