Lakeside PJs

I love making pajamas almost as much as I love wearing them… and now I can finally show you a pair that I’ve been hiding from you. These are Grainline Studio’s Lakeside Pajamas made in satin and featured in the spring 2020 issue (now on newsstands) of Creative Machine Embroidery magazine.

I fell in love with this pansy print (found in the “spring” collection of Joann’s) and couldn’t resist picking it up for this project. I found coordinating pansy designs from an etsy dealer, Royal Present (I found her designs stitched out nicely, but I had to change the colors pretty substantially to match the material). I really wanted a pair of pajamas that featured the floral fabric for the top so I wound up making a second set with a more simple design on the corner of the shorts. I can’t wait to wear these when it finally warms up!

One thing I do want to suggest is considering purchasing your bias binding for this project… why? Because making 1/4″ double fold, bias binding in satin sucks. In the photo on the right, I decided to make my own – something that took almost an entire day to do (or at least it felt like, although it could have taken a whole day, I didn’t time myself), not to mention the fact that it didn’t crease well, was difficult to sew, etc. The end result is beautiful, but I’m not sure that I would ever do that again!

2 thoughts on “Lakeside PJs

  1. Gergana

    Hello! Love your lakeside PJs, they are so nice and luxurious <3
    I have this project in progress for some time, I am using double gauze with store bought satin bias tape – it's a disaster. I can't understand why exactly- maybe satin bias is not good partner with the gauze? Maybe the bias itself is low quality? Maybe I am not capable of installing it properly? I already tried 3 times with 2 different satin bias tapes. It twists horrendously. I tried to baste it, with and without special bias foot. Lastly I bought some cotton-polyester bias, but I'm afraid to try. I hate it already, but I still love that Japanese fabric :/
    Do you have any advice?

    1. stacy Post author

      I had some twisting with the satin bias as well (not as much as what it didn’t want to stay folded, LOL) – it was definitely more difficult to install than a cotton bias. What I wound up doing (and what produced the nicest results for me) was to not pin the bias to the fabric (except to “start” it so that I could sew it in place). I wound up inserting the fabric into the bias as I sewed and just went really slowly. This took a lot of time, but it seemed to save me the frustration of pinning it in place (I tried that), the project sliding out of the bias, and just finding that I wasn’t as accurate pinning as what I though I was (because of constantly messing with the folds and the twisting, I wound up having too much bias for the fabric and it wasn’t “snug”). Hope that helps!

Comments are closed.