I was recently introduced to Jumping June Textiles (how could I have missed this very cool retailer?) – who specializes in foreign fabrics. While shopping I picked up a variety of prints, including this Cruise It “panel” for Easton.
When I purchased this fabric, I knew that it was going to be short (lengthwise) and that I would probably need to modify a pattern (Jalie 2918) to get this print to work… I just underestimated how much he had grown since the last time I sewed for him! Color blocking was really the only option, but doing a solid white or black really just made it stand out that this panel was pieced together. So, I opted to add both colors and created a little stripe to add some interest.
I am extremely pleased with how this turned out and the fit wound up being spot on for Easton… which means he had better wear the heck out of this tee because with the way he’s growing, by next spring I’ll probably be too small! As for the panel – while I love the end result, I probably will not buy one of these again (unless there is something that really catches my eye) because it was just a lot of work to get this to turn out.
Mad props to anyone who makes Barbie clothing… what a feat it is!
My original thought was to take an existing piece of clothing and make it into Easton’s Oktoberfest design – let’s just say that didn’t work out so well. So I went online and found a simple t-shirt pattern and started with that. The rest (belt, headband, skirt, and apron) I was able to “wing”. Then we came up with some “accessories” (rucksack, bratwurst, and a German Flag), found an Oktoberfest logo to place on the box, and repackaged her (in hindsight, I wish I would have taken a photo of her out of the box). The end result turned out ok – not as phenomenal as either one of us had hoped, but I’m sure it’s enough to get him some great extra credit.
This weekend was full of activities and a visit from our oldest – which translates to: I didn’t get anything done! Today it’s time to buckle down and work on the list of things I need to accomplish. One of those things? Making an “Oktoberfest Barbie”.
Easton has a social studies project at school and for extra credit, you can make a Barbie match your poster project idea… so of course, he wants to get those extra points. Unfortunately, that means I’m left to stitch up his costuming ideas. So, today’s project is transforming this basic girl into something German. Wish me luck – I haven’t done doll clothes in AGES!
I am a big Wonder Woman fan. If you’re looking to make a quick costume this season, be sure to check out this tutorial (for kids, but easily adaptable for adults). If you’re looking for something more intricate, then you’ll want to see how to recreate her body armor.
Today’s quickie project is a simple Halloween slipcover for a 16″ pillow. Slipcovers are my absolute favorite way to create a pillow because it’s so easy to change the look of a room – plus they lay flat so they’re easy to store when you’re not using them.
Best of all, this project was cut, sewn, and ready to go in less than 30 minutes!
Quick Project #2 – This fun little Halloween kitchen towel. I couldn’t resist getting this fun embroidery design from Urban Threads while it was on sale, but I really wish I would have done this design on a black towel so it would pop more.
I plan on sending this to Taylor in a goodie box in a few weeks – I even found some cocktail napkins with the same saying to stuff in there too.