As much as I’ve been enjoying the weather, I think it’s safe to say that I’m ready for some fall sewing. I couldn’t resist any longer and decided that it was time time to pull out those autumn fabrics and get sewing.
For my first fall make, I pulled out Jalie’s Cocoon Cardigan and used SoSewEnglish’s olive Alexis double brushed poly (this colorway is currently sold out). I was inspired to sew this after seeing someone talking about this Pinterest Pin… adorable! Plus it’s a color that I don’t normally wear which is perfect as I’m trying very hard to get away from having so many of the same fabrics\styles\colors in my closet.
It’s been awhile since I’ve sewn the Cocoon Cardigan and I forgot how incredibly easy and fast it is to sew up. I literally had this one cut out and sewn in an afternoon! Talk about an instant gratification pattern!
This must be the week of new chair covers because I now have 2 bar stools at my kitchen island. This is the Hanriksdal Bar Stool from IKEA (which matches the chairs of the same name that I made for my kitchen) – the cover for this one was made by taking apart a premade version that I got in the store. Unfortunately, this didn’t come together as well as the chair version – it is extremely “fitted” and it was a real struggle to get the velcro to attach to the underside of the chair without a lot of tugging (I am guessing the side needs to be extended just a smidge). It does look great on, though so I can’t complain unless I ever have to wash these… then I’m guessing the shrinkage may cause issues.
Speaking of washing covers, I did have to launder one of my chair covers over the weekend – I did have bit of shrinkage with the fabric (I did not prewash it), but I think that it was just enough to make for a better fit. FYI if you decide to buy this fabric for yourself.
With all the chairs (finally) finished, I’m ready to move on to window treatments. I think it’s time to start surfing the internet for ideas!
A week or so ago, a longtime friend had asked (on social media) if anyone knew of someone who recovered chairs\cushions. I decided to volunteer my services – they looked easy enough and would be a nice diversion from other projects I have going on (except for making covers for my barstools, that’s about the same, I suppose).
Last week, she sent me her very worn covers, fabric, and zippers so today I’m getting ready to make myself a pattern. Unfortunately, these aren’t perfectly symmetrical, but I think I can trace off the cover easily enough.
When I can’t sew as frequently as what I like, I must “daydream” about projects because I find myself surfing fabric sites. My latest purchase was one of those times because look what fell into my cart:
I was actually just looking at aglets (because I have a feeling I’m going to be making a lot of hoodies this fall), but these bundles were calling my name. I caught them while they were 40% off, too… so I definitely couldn’t resist! Plus, I spent enough that I got their new Vegas Shirt pattern for free.
From left to right: Stripe brushed single knit, magazine print double brushed poly, gray double brushed single knit, mint “Margot” double brushed poly, lilac double brushed poly, and a coordinating camo print.
I had no intention of buying so much double brushed poly, but they honestly have some of the best prints. Now, to figure out what I’m making with all of this (ideas welcome)!
We had an event packed weekend, but I made sure to squeeze in a bit of sewing time so that I could finish my Simone shorts. I’m so glad that I did too, because they are very cute (even though all the details are lost in the photo… I blame the print) and super comfortable. As a bonus, the temperatures are going to be in the 90s this week, so I’ll have an opportunity to wear them before fall weather cools things down.
As for the pattern, I thought that it was really easy to put together. The directions and illustrations are clear and the pieces lined up nicely. My only complaint is that my fabric choice – I’m finding that the material droops some at the pockets… next time I think I’ll either select a material that has a bit more body or add a bit more interfacing at the pocket edges to crisp it up some.
Now that the shorts are finished, I really think I need a Michelle tank to wear with it – so expect a coordinating top sometime this week…. and maybe a pair of the Simone pants for when it gets cooler.
I would love to say that I’ve been accomplished in the sewing department, but sadly I haven’t. I did tackle doing a bit more unboxing (I filled our new entertainment center shelves with books, pictures, knickknacks) and started cutting out a pattern.
I’ve been wanting to make Jalie’s Simone since it’s release and with cooler temperatures on the horizon, I figured I had better hurry and make the shorts version before it gets too cold to wear it. If all goes well, I’ll have enough time to make a coordinating Michelle tank (I love the idea that it looks like a romper, but is really a two piece – so much easier to go to the bathroom in) before I tackle writing an article and drafting a few patterns.