This time around I serged around all the fabric pieces, added topstitching, and inserted the velcro (and there is a lot!) – this added considerable time to actually making the chair so it didn’t whip up quite as fast as the first, but I did figure out a slightly easier way to put it together so I think I’m set to make the remaining 5 chairs. Woot!
One thing I wanted to point out about this project is that it does use quite a bit of Velcro… but only the “soft” side. I never found a resource for buying only half of the velcro needed so I opted for One Wrap. This product is generally used for wrapping cords because it has both the male and female sides on one tape, but it is the width I needed and much cheaper than buying “standard” Velcro by the yard. With that said, NEVER buy this product as Joann’s – it is way too expensive ($12). I found the exact same product at Walmart for half the price (it is slightly more expensive to buy online than to physically pick it up, too).
I love Jalie – not only are their patterns wonderful to work with (and wear), but they also have great customer service. If that doesn’t entice you, now there’s another great reason to pick up their latest pattern – 100% of sales of the new Marie-Josée pattern will be donated to Centre Philou, a non-profit organization that helps and supports families of polyhandicapped children! Plus if you pick up the Marie-Josee before midnight tonight you can get 10% off any other PDF pattern in your cart at checkout.
This is the Rising Moon Kimono – a one size fits most design that features embroidery designs along all the hem edges. I made this version from a sheer(ish) cotton that had a great flow, but also held up to all the stitching. Of course you can skip the embroidery work and just make a kimono out of your favorite fabric, too – I made this version out of Liverpool.
After a bit of tracing, adding of seam allowances, and a plan for sewing, I finally dove into making a cover for my Henriksdal chair…. and I’m pretty pleased with my results!
For my tester: I omitted serging\finishing the edges of the fabric, all the topstitching (I’m fairly certain that it’s done to keep the seam allowances down when putting the cover on) and all the Velcro (that attaches to the underside of the chair to keep the cover taut and in place), so the cover went together fairly quickly – I am guessing the “real” version will take a bit longer when I add in all the elements that I left off. I am also estimating that each chair will take about a yard and half – although with doing multiple chairs, I figure that I will use less that than since I have more room to fiddle with placement.
I’m so excited to move on to the real chair now! I may regret that after making 6, though.
If you’ve been to IKEA, chances are you’ve seen the Henriksdal chair somewhere in the store. I spent a great deal of time looking at new dining chairs, and this one kept catching my attention – not only are they comfortable, but they have so many possibilities when you change up the cover. So, I bought 6…. and 2 matching barstools.
The covers for these chairs are pretty limited (besides, why buy them when you can make them?) so I decided that I would sew up my own. My first step was to take an existing cover and rip it apart -which you can see that I’ve done (and labeled) on the left. It’s really just 6 pieces, with lots of velcro (to attach to the chair), so I believe construction should be fairly straightforward.
My next step to to trace off the pieces, even them up (if needed, I’m not sure how “accurate” they are cut), add seam allowances, and come up with a plan for how I want to sew them together. I’m very excited about the idea of making some interchangeable covers – this could be fun for the holidays!
I wound up buying both the fabric and pattern after seeing someone make up a similar version on the SoSewEnglish Facebook page – I am attempting to branch out this fall and wear some fabric (and fabric combinations) that I normally wouldn’t go for… thankfully this did not disappoint.
Putting the TAMI hoodie was a little more work than a “standard” hoodie pattern – largely because I opted to insert the zipper and go for the double hood (both hoods are offset so it also gives it a different feel). Both were worth the extra effort because I don’t have anything else like this in my closet, so it will definitely stand out. I thought the fit was good too, but be sure to keep in mind this is a more fitted look, so if you’re wanting something looser, you’ll need to go up a size.
As for putting this together, I thought the instructions were good, but I clearly didn’t pay enough attention to them because I inserted both hoods the wrong way. I also have to admit, I didn’t insert the zipper quite the way it was written, I just liked the way I did mine better than the instructions.
I think it’s safe to say, you’ll be seeing a few more of these in my future. I really enjoyed sewing this one up and love that it has a different look than hoodie patterns I already own.
Yesterday just wasn’t my day: an emergency vet visit (which turned out to be an allergic reaction to probably a spider or bee), got caught is a monsoon while shopping, a spilled box of crackers in the car (what a mess), and this…. I’m not sure what I was thinking when I attached the hoods to my TAMI hoodie, but I went to test fit it and couldn’t for the life of me figure out why half my face was covered (the hoods are already off-centered on purpose) until I realized my placement was just all off.
Fortunately this is fixable, so I’ll work on redoing the hood and finishing up this project later. I’m not sure I’m ready to tackle it even today!