Even if you’re not a fan of the movie Labyrinth, chances are you’ll recognize the costume anyway (and not just because of the crotch bulge). I stared at it for quite some time (and not just because it was worn by David Bowie) because the jacket is so ornate and the ascot is perfectly fluffy and frilly. PLUS, Sara’s ballgown was there as well! Overall, what amazing costuming!
We have a “nook” by the front door that looked pretty naked. It’s not very deep, nor is it that long, so we decided to put a bench there – something that would allow us to stash shoes, hats, the dog leash, etc. as we walk out the door. This bench not only fits the space perfectly, but it had great baskets that allows you to store items without them being seen. The only thing it lacked was a cushion…. until now.
Taking a (good) photo of this was more difficult that I anticipated, but you can get the general idea of what it looks like. I went with a 2″ foam, a home decor print from Joann’s (bonus it was 60% off, and a solid that goes around the edge to break up the print. I secured this one with Velcro so it was easy\easier to remove if I ever hand to launder it. Overall, I’m fairly pleased with the way it turned out, but I still don’t care for home decor sewing.
I’ve been putting off making the Sporty Piko because I really wanted to recreate this version (and if you know me, it’s hard for me to make solid color tops so you know I have to want to make this badly). I have been looking all over for this color combination and I finally found it (well, close to it) at Girl Charlee. Of course, I couldn’t just order what I needed, so I picked up two fun extras too:
FINALLY, after what seems like an eternity, I have a selfish sew! I decided that I needed to put the cute little bird print to good use so I opted to make a new top with it. I looked for my trusty Jalie Tee pattern, but couldn’t find it (alright, so maybe my sewing room isn’t as organized as I thought) so I decided to do something completely different instead…. make a scoopneck top.
I always liked this Jalie pattern because of the tulip sleeves – it’s such a pretty way to change up shirt. Plus, it’s a fairly quick sew, which is perfect when you’re needing a new top. This top went together beautifully, but the fabric was a bit temperamental (in hindsight, I wished I had used a different needle and lengthened my stitches just a bit more).
I have just a smidge more of this material left and I’m debating on if it’s enough to actually do anything else with…. I just love the little birds, but don’t want my stash to be overrun with remnants that I never do anything with (again). I may try to see if I can’t squeeze a tank out of this today.
The past few days I’ve been putting the finishing touches on a fun little project that I can only show a sneak peek of… for now. While I can’t say exactly what it its, I can say that is that this pattern has lots of opportunities for embellishment and the more fun the fabric, the more fabulous it becomes!
I will also say, I am very thankful that I had the time to start this project right before we moved because I am sure that I would have not made the deadline otherwise – moving it hard ya’ll. But, with this one completed, I’m ready to start some selfish sewing… in between trying to get settled!