Well, we finally got our snow day today…. although it’s more like an ice day because we have no snow on the ground and the roads are just really slick. None the less, it’s a great day to stay in pajamas, cut some patterns, and whip up something new! I’m torn between stitching up a sweatshirt\hoodie (before I packed away my remaining fabrics, I did pull a few sweatshirt fabrics) because it seems like winter is never leaving us, but at the same time I am so sick of winter that I would love to start making clothing for spring (although I really want a cute fabric combo to use for the Discoverer Tee, so I may have to shop first).
What do I think will really happen? I’ll print off a pattern then get distracted by binge watching a show\movie with Easton and drinking hot chocolate that I never get back to it. Oh well, there’s always tomorrow!
Did you ever see the movie One Fine Day? At one point Michelle Pfeiffer spills coffee on her shirt and winds up having to wear her son’s dinosaur tee as a top. Ever since then I have want a dinosaur top…. now I have one.
I had picked up this print for Easton about a year ago and he wasn’t thrilled about it. So when trying to pick out fabric for my Lucky Girl top, I decided to give this a try…. and it’s so cute (not as awesome as the tiny dinosaurs in the movie, but equally as fun)!
This was also my first go with an Ellie & Mac pattern and I have to say that I’m thrilled with the outcome. The fit is good, the pattern pieces came together well, and the instructions were great. In fact I like it so much I plan on making another top (in a more traditional fabric) AND I picked up the Discoverer Tee pattern (I love the contrast yoke) too.
After realizing the initial flannel that I had selected clashed with my baby print fabric, I spend an afternoon searching around for a suitable backing. I found several that I liked, but all of them had a very “boyish” fee to them so I finally settled on a red cotton print (I had really hoped for flannel).
As you can see, even the dog likes this! I also made a coordinating burp rag out of the left over fabric so that she would have a coordinating set.
I still had enough of the knit (monster) fabric left over so I set out to make a pair of knit baby leggings. I wound up using this pattern and then had to scrap everything because the INSTRUCTIONS ARE WRONG. The tutorial has you sewing the front pieces together first (when it should be one front and one back). I knew this sounded wrong initially but I was caught up watching\listening to a show at the same time that I was working that I never gave it another thought. Oh well, at least I have a nice little package that is coming together nicely even without the pants!