Basic Black

Bret’s uncle unexpectedly passed away over the weekend. When I was trying to decide what to wear to the funeral, I realized that in my latest closet purge, I got rid of several items that might have been appropriate. Shopping for something like this is never fun or easy, so I decided to raid my stash and sew something instead.

I decided on Jalie 2034 and a black cotton rayon remnant. I picked this material because it had a nice hand and great drape, but unfortunately, it was a beast to work with. For starters, since it was a remnant, there was barely enough fabric to work with (which required some creative pattern placement) and cut horribly. It sewed fine when I used the serger, but I used my regular machine to apply the neckline binding and it turned out horribly. It was so bad that I decided to turn under the neckline over itself again, which seemed to make things look a lot better.

The only other alteration I made was cutting 2.5 inches off the bottom of the skirt before I added the flounce so that the final length hit me mid-knee. Speaking of the flounce, I should probably note that I also opted to fold under the raw edge (by 3/8″) instead of using a rolled hem (or even leaving it raw) because I just didn’t think the fabric would cooperate.

The fit on this is perfect and I absolutely adore the flounce on the bottom edge. I think the next time I make this I may do another crossover modification and add this cute little design element to add even more interest.