Distressed

About a month or so ago, I picked up this fun distressed knit  (it looks like a sweatshirt, but really is more of a thick knit) – it was too fun to pass up, but I had no idea what to do with it…. until I was in a store and saw a cool sweatshirt made from a similar fabric. The distressed look is apparently a “thing” because even Bloomingdale’s has something similar (but with a hefty price tag) so I decided to create my own.

Once again I whipped out Jalie 3355, using the basic sweatshirt pattern with a kangaroo pocket. I used the same material for the neckline and sleeve\hem bands, but quickly discovered that the fabric didn’t really have great stretch for these areas. I really wanted to avoid an overstretched\too gathered look and definitely didn’t want to fight with the fabric inserting the bands, so I wound up re-cutting these areas to add some length (basically making them close to the same measurement as the sleeve\waist). And I LOVE the end result! It’s comfortable to wear and I love it so much more than the Bloomingdale’s version. Plus my version cost $18!