Layton Complete

06-;ayton2I managed to finish up my Layton the other day, just in time to wear out to the ball field that evening. Not only was it breezy to wear, but it was comfortable and cute too boot!

Overall, I’m very pleased with how the romper tuned out. However, I would not suggest using a stripe with this project – there is lots of pattern matching needed and I guarantee it will drive you crazy! I found that my Layton took me a bit longer to sew up than the two hours listed, but I think that is because I had to line all the stripes up (and recut the pocket because it was horribly ‘off’).

As for the fit on this one, I am a bit disappointed. In my past experience, Seamwork patterns seem to work really well without a lot of modifications. However, this one is very large in the armsythe so I find myself constantly arranging the positioning of my romper so that the band of my bra doesn’t show. I am also not crazy about my (elastic) waistline. The pattern calls for 1/4″ elastic to be sewn along the seam line – I found that my elastic became over stretched and really didn’t want to go back into shape (and actually started ‘curling’). I think most of my problem is crappy elastic and not the pattern, but it still isn’t pretty. I wound up adding a firmer elastic in a wider width over top of the original elastic (ripping out the existing elastic created holes in the fabric) and may have made matters worse….. At least it’s made to be bloused and no one can see the crazy waistband I created!

One thought on “Layton Complete

  1. Rhonda

    I didn’t care for the pattern when I saw it, but it’s so cute on you!!! Maybe you should become the official model 🙂

Comments are closed.