One part of the pirate costume done, two more (plus accessories) to go! I made several adjustments to the jacket pattern to create the look I was after: I opted to go with View A because it looked the closest to what I wanted (mainly the lapel), then cut the jacket length short (right at the area the pattern has you creating ‘points’ for the front and back design) and eliminated the sleeves. I finished it up by adding gold, braided trim around the out edges and collar of the jacket.
While I think this looks a lot like our inspiration pirate, this costume vest is a hot mess. The fabric was not cooperative while I was sewing: it puckered, pinched, and in general just ‘didn’t behave’… I blame the fact that it’s cheap and has a high polyester content. I think the pants should turn out a bit better, but in general I don’t recommend this material for anything other than costumes!
Share This Post!