Modifying the Belt

While I think as a whole this Simplicity pattern is well written (although any piece that called for buckram is described as using a fusible in the instructions instead), one section that I didn’t care for was the belt. Basically, the instructions has you folding under the raw edges of the facing, placing it wrong-sides-together with the front piece, then sewing. I saw this a potentially messy looking final product, so I changed it. Instead, I sewed the pieces right side together and left, turned, then slipstitched the opening closed. Instead of sewing the Velcro down to the back of the belt, I used a fusible that way the front of the belt still looked ‘clean’.

As for embellishments, I opted to write out “Elvis” in hot-fix rhinestones. I wanted to just do a big “E”, but I tried several times and it just didn’t look right. This one seems to give the belt more bling anyway!