I spent some time with Kwik Sew 3608. I managed to cut the fabric, insert the shelf bra, and the elastic at the bust. Although there is no elastic around the legs or the side cutouts, I went ahead and slipped it on for a test fit.
If you promise you won’t laugh, here’s what I have so far……
Let me start off by saying that the fit is really good. I’m not seeing that I need to adjust the length or crotch depth and the bustline is right on – I don’t feel like it’s going to slip down. Now for some cons:
I never intended for this suit to be wearable – the material is part of a remnant bag that I had purchased eons ago. It was my least favorite material with the right amount of yardage. However, the print is so distracting and somehow I managed to put a ‘swirl’ right at my midsection – which draws attention to that area and gives the appearance I have a really pouchy stomach. Solids are a must with this design.
I’m really not hot on the bustline of this particular suit. While I think it works for the takini style, I’m not a fan of it with the cutaway sides. If I continue with the monokini style, it really does need to be morphed with another top – I’m still going with Kwik Sew 3695.
One thing that I did add to this design – one that you can’t see is a bit of plush back elastic to the shelf bra. Not only is this more comfortable, I don’t feel like it’s riding up either. I think I’ll continue this with the next one I make.