I have a ‘thing’ for pincushions – and I can’t seem to pass up a swap where you make one. I’m happy to report that I’ve completed my latest!
I have to say, this swap was a bit more difficult that the last few I’ve participated in. Although my partner and I have similar fabric interests, we’re different in our styles (she likes lots of lace and patchwork where I seem to lean toward the funky and unusual). She had several ideas listed in her Wist – one of which was a pear, but since I seem to make so many of those, I wanted to do something different. I decided to pick something feminine using her favorite fabric color combination, pink and brown. The BHG Wild Flower Pincushion seemed like a good choice. I used a dot cotton print that I received in the I <3 sewing swap, an Amy Butler egg dot print, and a suede(ish) brown for the center.
Sewing up this pattern was relatively simple. Although, unlike most pincushion patterns (or at least the ones I’ve tried), be prepared to do a bit more pressing – all those petals need to look neat! I would also change the way the cushion is stuffed to keep for doing a lot of extra handstitching (sewing a majority of the bottom base, filling the pincushion with fiberfill, then sewing the remainder of the base closed). The finished size is generous, there’s plenty of room to fill with pins. Overall, a cute and functional notion!