Deconstructing The Dress

Normally when I sew, I try to take the attitude, “There is always more fabric”. I know that even if a project doesn’t work out, I can (generally) either buy more of that particular material (or I bought plenty to begin with) or that something fabulous will eventually come along that I will fall in love with to replace the sacrificed fabric! But in the case of Simplicity 4255 I feel I only have one shot to get this one right and it’s making me feel a bit nervous.


So, without further ado, here’s what’s been happening with this redesign. First, let’s look at the dress before it’s been cut up (photo on the left). The bodice is satin and has a keyhole design in the center with straps that crisscross in the front. There really isn’t enough satin material to do anything with, except for the straps which I think I’ll be using for the ribbon trim in the front. I also intend on using the broach as the ‘knot’ for the trim. The bottom portion of the dress is made of a poly chiffon and has a matching lining underneath. This material will be used to make the dress itself and since it’s so sheer, I’ll be using the lining as well.
The cutting:

Before I cut into the dress, I decided to ‘measure’ to see if all the pattern pieces would fit. I increased the length slightly (by about 3 inches?) to make the dress look a bit more formal, but I was barely able to squeeze all the pieces onto the fabric. Thankfully, everything fit and this is what I have leftover (the zipper is still in this picture, but I’ve since removed it):

With all that said and done, I’m ready to sew! After reading a few reviews of this pattern on Pattern Review, I may have to make some alterations as I go (the bust is a bit loose according to most), but we’ll tackle those as I get to them. In the mean time, my Japanese book arrived and I can’t wait to share it with you (look for that post tomorrow).
On a side note, I had a bunch of spam comments (hundreds) left on the site that I’ve been cleaning off all morning. I’ve had to close a number of posts to comments (some very recent ones and some that are very old) and have deleted a number of comments off the site. If you posted a comment recently and don’t see it on the site, I probably accidently deleted it (I apologize in advance) or if you sent me an email and I didn’t respond it is probably in my trash or spam folder (so please resend!). Thanks everyone for understanding!

4 thoughts on “Deconstructing The Dress

  1. melissa

    Ooh, don’ you get such a thrill from throwing aside the cutting diagram and *just barely* squeezing a pattern out of the fabric you have? Or maybe it’s just me…
    As for the spam comments, I’m using TextPattern and I had a horrible time with them until I installed a few antispam plugins like the Captcha “type the letters in the image” thing. The spam comments disappeared immediately, and I haven’t had a single one since. Go look on the MoveableType forums to see if someone’s made a Captcha plugin, it’ll make your life so much easier!

  2. Julie

    Can’t wait to see the finished dress! What a great way to use a dress that you already had. I am sure Taylor will look great in it.

  3. Julia

    That picture of the little girl’s pattern laying on the adult dress is one of the cutest things I’ve seen in a long time! I’m not sure why it struck me that way, but it truly made me smile. Good luck!

  4. lisa

    Wow,the dress above is really very,very beautiful!It makes me think of the dress I bought two weeks ago from a web site called”GoodGoodsChina.com”,they also provide very good stuff such as wedding dresses and evening dresses and so on.Check it out if you got some spare time.

Comments are closed.