Just in time for the weekend, my Burda plunge back top is finished! I’m very pleased with the way this top turned out – a bit more time consuming that what I had first thought it would be, but well worth it. I think that it’s the little details such as the shirring on the back strap, the plunge look, as well as the gathered waist that make it look more ready to wear than something someone whipped up in their basement!
Overall, the instructions were easy to follow, but I didn’t care for the way they had you binding the arm and inserting the elastic, so I changed it a bit. For the arm, I sewed up the side seams, sewed the short ends of the arm binding strips together, then attached the binding to the arm hole – flipping it to the inside and then twin stitching (I think my way makes the top look more finished than what the instructions call for). The pattern calls for a hem of 1 1/4 inches, but this seemed too wide for this top so I opted to go for a 5/8″ hem instead (since the elastic is 3/8 inches wide, it also seemed appropriate so it wouldn’t get ‘wiggly’ inside the casing). Instead of leaving an opening on the side seam to insert the elastic, I decided to fold up he hem, sew – leaving an opening, inserting the elastic, then finish sewing the casing closed – Much easier in my opinion!
Now that this project is finished, I’m deciding what to do with the other yard of this fabric – I’m seriously contemplating making the matching skirt!