I finally got around to doing my resin magnets and this time it was a great cast. I could almost immediately tell that they would harden properly – just a few hours after making them they were almost hard and virtually no smell this time at all. I was disappointed that the calculator magnet got an air bubble in it, but I’m not surprised that it happened – it barely fit my mold and I kept pushing it down to make after I filled up the resin (I still like the way it turned out and will be sending it off to my swap partner).
In addition to the ‘jello’ magnets, I also gave a few other objects a try: a stamp (go figure, it’s Wonder Woman), some scrapbooking items, and images in bottle caps.
Of course, working with resin is still quite a learning process for me. Things to remember for the next time I try this: 1) always wipe away excess mold release – it will leave a residue that is difficult (if not impossible) to remove from your cast pieces, 2) check the underside of the molds for air bubbles that form, 3) bottle cap magnets are fun and easy to make be sure to glue the images to the bottom of the bottle cap next time (they like to try to float up) and if the image is light, make sure to use a heavy, light-colored backing with it!
Share This Post!