Yippie! I have a new pair of pants to wear just in time for spring!
So let me tell you a little about this pattern. First off, like many Burda WOF patterns, the directions are not stellar. If your a novice or haven’t made a pair of pants with hip pockets, you my have a bit of trouble understanding the instructions themselves. If you have some experience with making this style of pants or have a good set of directions to refer to, you’ll do great (you’ll still get there even if you don’t, but it may take a bit longer).
The pattern calls for a ribbed cotton interlock for the waistband. I had purchased some over the weekend, but I wound up not using it – after compairing the fabrics in direct sunlight, there were obvious shade differences! Since it was too noticeable, so I opted to use the french terry for the waitband too – which created quite a bit of bulk in the waitband and pocket area. Speaking of the waistband – I took a tip from MÃ©Lisa and used a combination of elastic and cording. Basically I cut a length of elastic the same size as by back width cut my cording (a pink and white shoestring) in half and sewed each half to the ends of the elastic. This makes the pants more comfortable, they are easier to pull up and down without having to untie them, and seems to keep the waistband snug against my body (as opposed to loosening up when it’s drawstring only).
The last thing I did was take a bunch of length off the pants. When I had traced these, I omitted any hems, thinking this would be enough to make them roughly the correct size. Boy, was I wrong! I took up an additional 3 inches – I now believe that I am shrinking.
Lastly, I’m contemplating putting some sort of emblem or rhinestones, etc. on them to give them a more RTW appearance. I may wear them around for awhile and see what I can come up with.