Before all my posts this week become photos of Valentine’s Day swap projects and lingerie, I thought I should share that I finished my Amy Butler Kimono!
This pattern is a bit different than most. First off you’re only working with 2 pattern pieces, the rest of the pieces are basically rectangles and squares that are cut using the given dimensions. It’s very useful to use a rotary cutter, mat, and a long quilting ruler (or yardstick) during this part of the process.
Secondly, the directions are different than your standard instructions. If you have experience with Amy’s previous patterns, then you know what I’m talking about – they are very much like someone is talking to you and there is very little technical jargon. Normally, I don’t mind. However, I had the hardest time reading through them once I got to step 2. So much so, that I abandoned them all together and relied solely on the pictures.
Now, we come to the issue of sizing. Based on my measurements, I made a small. And it looked like I was playing dress up in a gigantic housecoat:
At that point I had already hemmed the sleeves, so I decided to go ahead and fold them up another 3 inches. They are still a bit too long, but substantially better. Next, I took 8 inches off the bottom of the robe. 8 inches! I then used a 1″ hem to finish the robe. My completed robe is shorter than the pattern photo, but I like the way it sits on me. There was so much blue fabric going on all over my short little body, I felt like I was wearing a hospital gown or an oversized dentist napkin.
I know there are a lot of you who own this book and are thinking of making this pattern for youself, so my biggest suggestion is to measure yourself and compare them to the pattern size before you cut. You may just save yourself a ton of fabric that way!