I normally don’t post this early in the morning mostly because I haven’t accomplished much at this point in the day…. However, today is different. Today, I’m procrastinating. What you are seeing is the state of ‘the toy closet’ – it is beyond anything that Taylor can pick up (and frankly, I’d like to get rid of some of these toys and with her helping, we’ll never part with them). This is an all day job – purging, organizing, and ‘reconstructing’ (i.e. putting little pieces in the right container) toy sets and I’m really dreading doing this.
Maybe, I’ll reward myself with some fabric…. oh, wait, I went ahead and did that! I couldn’t resist Emma One Sock’s Heavy Metal knit print when it showed up on her site. I purchased enough to make a long sleeved shirt from it. I did resist Fabric.com’s gambler’s sale, however. I filled up my cart 3 times and abandoned it each time. As much as what I like some of the items that they have (and they are good prices), I’m afraid most of what I purchase may just sit in the stash. Maybe I’ll mull it over while I clean.
Tuesday had asked about a up-close shot of the image transfers I used on my pajama tops – and here they are:
The one on the left is the ‘vintage’ look and the one on the right can be found on my new set of pjs (if you look really hard you can see the tiny rhinestones I used on the left t-shirt). How do you rough up your designs to look vintage? Aside from accidently destroying the transfer, I think that I may have figured out a few techniques. First, use the matte style, which in the PrintOnIt transfers means peeling it off hot (the one on the right was peeled off cool giving it a glossy look). After peeling off the transfer backing, place a clean scrap piece of fabric over the top of your image. Spritz various parts of your design with water (not the entire image just spots), then iron. Portions of the image will peel off onto the scrap paper. Ironing over the transfer dry will also lift off parts of your design image, but not as much as when it’s wet. In the image on the left, I ironed over all parts of the transfer except for the face – I wanted that area to pop out more than the rest of the design. I think that the cracking etc will become more pronounced after I wash the shirt a few times.
So, I guess I’ve procrastinated enough – hopefully tomorrow, I’ll have a ‘clean’ shot for you all to see!