Even though I’m living without a serger for the time being, I managed to finish up my Kwik Sew surplice top. I’ve added a photo to the sidebar, but it’s difficult to see any details – the fabric color (eggplant) is so dark, even lightening it up didn’t help!
I’m not sure that I’m sold on this pattern. In fact, I you could see it better, I look a bit like a kangaroo from the side. Most of this really is the pattern style (even the photo is baggy around the midsection), but some of it is due to the fabric. I used a cotton jersey knit from Joann’s – a bit beefier than most (which is a suprise since most of Joann’s knits in the past had been very flimsy) which made the top have a heavier drape (i.e. kangaroo pouch). I also found the arms on this one to be a bit tight, even though my fabric had plenty of stretch. My fabric suggestion for this top is a light weight stretch that has a good recovery – like an onionskin.