I haven’t had a lot of time to sew lately, but I made the time both last night and this morning to work on the Amy Butler Cabo Halter – and I’m happy to say that I’m done (the picture is posted on the sidebar).
The fabric was horrible to work with. Every so often there are glued on (clear) sequins which gummed up the needle and on occasion caused the thread to break, pull, andor “snag” the fabric. I found the serger worked best, even though it’s not really recommend with this meshy sequin type fiber. Speaking of fabric, I found that (at least in the smaller sizes), the recommended yardage is way too much. My fabric was 58″ wide and I used a yard (with lots of large leftover pieces), that would roughly come out to 1 3/8 yards in 44″ fabric – the pattern calls for 2 1/2 yards!
Overall, the pattern went together quickly. Since my fabric has stretch I was able to eliminate the zip all together, which I am sure saved some time! I also eliminated the bottom hem – it really wasn’t necessary since the fabric I used doesn’t ravel.
The fit seems good too. I also like the crossover on this top – it looks flattering and doesn’t gape open! Now, to find some Amy Bulter Belle fabrics and make one up in cotton!