Halloween is just 2 weeks away, but there’s still plenty of time to whip up some cute decorations! My latest tutorial for WeAllSew can help you with that – the Under Wraps Mummy Slipcover!
The great thing about this project is that there’s no wrong way to make this – no matter how you “wrap” your mummy and no matter where you place the eyes, you’re bound to have a fun pillow. Since this is a slipcover, it’s easy to change out your look once the holiday is over (and it’s easy to store too since it won’t take up much room). Be sure to show me your creations when you try this tutorial out for yourself!
Easton is at that age where trick-or-treating isn’t quite for him anymore. Since I got to skip out on making a costume this year, I decided he at least needed a shirt or two instead.
Unfortunately, I didn’t have enough material leftover from my mummy shirt to make him one of his own, so I went back out and purchased a different print – this one with tiny glow in the dark eyes. I used my trusty Nico pattern to sew this one up and added the “Spooky Cat” SVG from Cricut Access to make an iron-on decal. I was worried that this wasn’t cool enough, but he really liked it when I showed it to him so hopefully he will wear this one outside of the house.
I love Halloween. So, when I stumbled across this fun, spooky-eye mummy wrap fabric (that glows in the dark, too), I couldn’t resist buying it…. even though it’s from Joann’s Doodle line. What’s wrong with Doodles? While they are seriously adorable, they generally have poor stretch and recovery, shrink quite a bit after washing (so always buy more than you need) and only come in a 2-way stretch as well. This particular print (or their Doodles this year in general) seems to have a bit more spandex than previous years (a bit, not much) which seems to have helped, but you can expect that this fabric will stretch easily when sewing if you’re not careful.
Clearly all those issues didn’t stop me from making my new Halloween themed shirt because here is my latest Marie-Claude raglan in my Doodle fabric. I was inspired to make this after seeing LuLaRoe’s Halloween line and some of the fun and funky baseball tees they released… and I love it (and I love it even more when the lights go out and the eyes glow)! I’m just sorry that I didn’t buy more because I keep seeing people making entire outfits from these as a very comfortable costume and they are pretty awesome.
Now, if anyone from Joann is reading this, PLEASE consider using a better quality fabric for these prints (and a 4-way stretch would be nice, too). I would definitely pay more for a better material.
I was recently introduced to Jumping June Textiles (how could I have missed this very cool retailer?) – who specializes in foreign fabrics. While shopping I picked up a variety of prints, including this Cruise It “panel” for Easton.
When I purchased this fabric, I knew that it was going to be short (lengthwise) and that I would probably need to modify a pattern (Jalie 2918) to get this print to work… I just underestimated how much he had grown since the last time I sewed for him! Color blocking was really the only option, but doing a solid white or black really just made it stand out that this panel was pieced together. So, I opted to add both colors and created a little stripe to add some interest.
I am extremely pleased with how this turned out and the fit wound up being spot on for Easton… which means he had better wear the heck out of this tee because with the way he’s growing, by next spring I’ll probably be too small! As for the panel – while I love the end result, I probably will not buy one of these again (unless there is something that really catches my eye) because it was just a lot of work to get this to turn out.
Mad props to anyone who makes Barbie clothing… what a feat it is!
My original thought was to take an existing piece of clothing and make it into Easton’s Oktoberfest design – let’s just say that didn’t work out so well. So I went online and found a simple t-shirt pattern and started with that. The rest (belt, headband, skirt, and apron) I was able to “wing”. Then we came up with some “accessories” (rucksack, bratwurst, and a German Flag), found an Oktoberfest logo to place on the box, and repackaged her (in hindsight, I wish I would have taken a photo of her out of the box). The end result turned out ok – not as phenomenal as either one of us had hoped, but I’m sure it’s enough to get him some great extra credit.
This weekend was full of activities and a visit from our oldest – which translates to: I didn’t get anything done! Today it’s time to buckle down and work on the list of things I need to accomplish. One of those things? Making an “Oktoberfest Barbie”.
Easton has a social studies project at school and for extra credit, you can make a Barbie match your poster project idea… so of course, he wants to get those extra points. Unfortunately, that means I’m left to stitch up his costuming ideas. So, today’s project is transforming this basic girl into something German. Wish me luck – I haven’t done doll clothes in AGES!
I am a big Wonder Woman fan. If you’re looking to make a quick costume this season, be sure to check out this tutorial (for kids, but easily adaptable for adults). If you’re looking for something more intricate, then you’ll want to see how to recreate her body armor.
Today’s quickie project is a simple Halloween slipcover for a 16″ pillow. Slipcovers are my absolute favorite way to create a pillow because it’s so easy to change the look of a room – plus they lay flat so they’re easy to store when you’re not using them.
Best of all, this project was cut, sewn, and ready to go in less than 30 minutes!